- Fun./fʌn/ - amusing, entertaining, or enjoyable.
- This is a random collection of photos, stories and non-quilt related parts of my life. Just for fun.
- The photo up top is to weed out the squeamish.
- In 2009 ten young people from our church went to the islands of Vanuatu to meet up with a missionary camp where my oldest son had served for four months. We hiked into difficult areas (as in access) wading 22 times through the river each direction.
Hiking for five-hours-away from where the vehicles could reach. We went to these places to work with the people, holding services, using puppets for the kids and providing aid of any sort. My job was to teach the ladies to use hand crank sewing machines we had provided for them.
On the way to the Big Bay area I was told to teach these women to make pot holders, but they wanted to learn to make mens button front island shirts with collars etc. Somehow paper for patterns miraculously just appeared and it all went together fine. Except that the kids ate the styrofoam that the machines had been packed in...
After that time in the deep jungle we went to a relatively docile area to help machete a piece of land and clear it for building. While there we found this little guy. It is hard to see how big he is because his legs are bent, but he was darling. Most of the spiders hanging over our sleeping mats at night were much larger and hairy. People over there eat these. I did not.
As a fibre artist I must admit some fascination at the lovely strong thread he was leaving as he crawled from place to place. I gave a tight smile for the photo - then rapidly handed him off before he decided he had been handled enough and bit someone!
- For anyone out there running quilt shows - I do have a one hour power point presentation/lecture of this trip available.